RACHEL Anne Daquis said she had no choice but to give up her spot in the national women's volleyball team spot due to a 'conflict in schedule.'
The veteran outside spiker, named as one of two reserve players in the team coached by Francis Vicente, withdrew from the national team on Thursday night through a letter sent to Larong Volleyball sa Pilipinas, Inc. (LVPI) vice-president Peter Cayco.
Explaining her decision, Daquis said schedule of the Southeast Asian Games, set on August 19-31 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia will be in conflict with the specialized training course that she is set to take up.
“I would like to regretfully inform you that I may not be able to fulfill my duties in the upcoming league as I just found out recently the competition schedule of the Southeast Asian Games will be in direct conflict with my decision of pursuing specialized training course that will start this August 7, 2017,” she said.
“This course I have mentioned is very essential in helping me achieve my long-term ambition to become one of the fitness ambassadors in our country and I cannot just let the opportunity pass by,” she added.
The Cignal star noted that the specialized training course, which is only open once a year, is available on a first-come, first-serve basis and she does not want to let the opportunity pass her by.
“It was a very difficult decision for me to make given I have always aspired to represent our country,” said Daquis, who saw action in the last edition of the SEA Games in Singapore.
Her place has since been given to La Salle star Kim Dy, who was previously cut from the team by Vicente.
Still, Daquis said she is grateful to be included in the SEA Games-bound team.
“I am very grateful you have considered me to be included in the team line up, but I feel there are other more capable candidates that can contribute more effectively,” said Daquis.