MELISSA Gohing is breaking down the stereotype for athletes.
The popular volleyball player has shown that sports and fashion do mix, quashing the common notion that trendy clothes and 'kikay' kits do not belong in the rough and tumble world she moves around in.
“It’s killing the stereotype na kapag athlete ka boyish ka, parang ‘yun ‘yung tingin nila sa’yo,” said the former La Salle libero, who happens to blog about fashion.
The 24-year-old Chinese mestiza has always been a fashionista at heart and can be as comfortable in the runway as he is on a volleyball court.
She was like that from her first year at La Salle when she got in trouble with disciplinarian coach Ramil de Jesus for wearing neon nail polish in screaming red to practice.
“Ganito na talaga ako ever since. Noong first year nga ako kulut-kulot pa ako, naka-perm ‘yung hair ko, may nail polish pa ako neon pa!” she recalled laughing.
“Hindi ko alam ‘di pala pwede mag-nail polish sa La Salle, eh naka color red pa ako,” she added. “Tawag pa sa akin ni coach 'red coconut' pero in the long run natanggap na lang ako ni coach na kikay ako, hanggang sa na-infuence ko teammates ko.”
True to her personality, Gohing lists down some fashion tips not only for athletes but for everyone who wants to feel good and look great.
1. 'It all starts with something to live by or simply a fashion rule. It depends on my mood kung gusto ko all black, all white, kahit ano.'
2. 'Kung ano ako, ‘yun ang isusuot ko, ayoko naman mag-pretend ng porma na hindi ko naman carry.'
3. 'It’s not what you wear; it’s how you wear it.'
4. 'Wear confidence all the time. Fashion is all about confidence. Kasi magsusuot ka ng damit ‘di ka pala kumportable maiilang ka lang.'
5. 'You have to know yourself. Ano ba ang personality mo? Are you the conservative type, or are you the outgoing one? Or ‘yung carry mo kahit ano.'
6. 'Kailangan comfy ka sa isusuot mo. Kasi kapag hindi ka comfortable hindi rin magiging maganda ang kalalabasan.'
7. 'Don’t overdo. 'Pag puro colors ka na, minimalist na lang ang accessories mo; 'pag naman bongga accessories mo, simple na lang ang outfit mo para balance.'
8. 'Don’t limit yourself. Try to explore and try to mix and match outfits.'