THE Southeast Asian Games door has been left ajar for the men’s football and women’s basketball teams after the Philippine SEAG Task Force declared that it will be taking a second look at the two teams’ credentials.
Tom Carrasco, Philippine Olympic Committee chairman and a member of the SEA Games Task Force, said the 22-man Azkals Under-23 team and the 12-strong Perlas Pilipinas are still part of a “waiting list” of 114 being considered for the delegation bound for Myanmar in December.
The men's basketball team was among the squads that made it to the delegation outright owing to their status as gold medal potentials, but other teams apparently failed to meet the criteria initially set by the task force.
But those in the waiting list could still make it to the SEA Games either through the strength of the team lineup or performance in tournaments in the next few months. Philippine Olympic Committee president Jose "Peping" Cojuangco also said earlier that they are not closing the door on the football team.
According to the task force, a total of 152 athletes have already made it to the delegation bound for the Myanmar SEA Games.
Carrasco said that they will scrutinize the composition of the Under-23 men’s football team before it can be given a go-signal.
“We will have to see the components of the team,” said Carrasco in Thursday’s POC radio program on DZSR 918 AM. “Konti ang games nila pero we want to look at the composition of the team.”
“We are also going to look at scouting the competition and are they enrolled in a fitness testing?” said Carrasco.
The task force will also still have to see the performance of the Perlas Pilipinas in the Fiba-Asia Women’s Championship set in late October in Bangkok, giving the women's team a chance to prove worthy of being a late entry to the SEA Games.
Perlas Pilipinas recently won a three-team women's invitational tournament in Naga City.
Among those in the “waiting list” are several archers, shooters, judokas, muay fighters and wushu artists.