THE Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) has received a report of a rise in the cases of Zika virus in Brazil ahead of the Olympics, but local sports officials aren't overly concerned.
PSC chairman Ritchie Garcia said the Office of America Affairs reported a 300-percent increase in Zika virus cases in Brazil, but officials remain confident the risk will be down to an acceptable level by the time the August 5 to 21 showpiece comes around.
Three Filipino athletes have officially qualified for the Rio Games, with sprinter Eric Cray booking the first ticket and boxers Rogen Ladon and Charly Suarez securing their spots just last week.
“They (Office of American Affairs) are monitoring the Zika virus. Sabi naman nila, there is nothing to be worried about because, sabi nila, by August, bababa na daw ‘yung virus,” said Garcia.
Garcia said the PSC and Philippine Olympic Committee are constantly monitoring whether the Zika virus will pose a danger to Filipino athletes and officials at the Olympics.
“The figures are quite clear that there is a growing number of cases. But as I said, we will continue to monitor. Now, kung dumating ang araw na medyo epidemic na ‘to, we have to review the stand.
"The only way na hindi magpapadala is kung talagang magiging danger na ‘to para sa mga atleta as well as danger sa mga Pilipino na pagbalik nila, maging carrier sila,” Garcia said.