Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    View Today
    Sun, Nov 5

    No stopping Go as he seeks POC post again

    Unsinkable GTK insists candidacy against Peping a wake-up call for all NSAs
    Oct 3, 2012

    THE unsinkable Go Teng Kok is at it again.

    The controversial sports official on Wednesday announced his plan to run as president of the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) and oppose the bid of former ally and incumbent Jose `Peping’ Cojuangco for a third straight term.

    Go is well aware he has no chance of winning in the election set late this November. But the longtime president of the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association (Patafa) intends to submit his official candidacy to encourage other National Sports Association heads to run against Cojuangco.

    “I want to wake up all the NSAs,” said the outspoken Go. “Alam ko wala akong panalo, pero I want to make a point. I will withdraw my candidacy and support whoever is running against Cojuangco.”

    The POC, through spokesman Joey Romasanta, said it is up to the Commission on Election led by former Rep. Victorico Chavez, whether to accept Go’s candidacy or not in case he indeed runs for the post.

    Go was a former supporter of Cojuangco, once serving as official of the POC sports and rules committee until the two had a falling-out last year.

    The country’s Olympic body has even declared Go persona non-grata.

    Go ran for the POC presidency in 1996 and 2000, but lost convincingly on both occasions to Cristy Ramos and fencing head Celso Dayrit.

    ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

    Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph

    Read Next
    Watch Now
    Sorry, no results found for
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result