THE Pasig City Regional Trial Court will issue a decision on Thursday whether to issue a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) sought by disqualified presidential candidate Ricky Vargas against the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) election.
Chito Salud, spokesperson for the camp of Vargas, said Pasig RTC Judge Elma Lingan heard the oral arguments of Vargas as well as the POC on Tuesday where she also asked both camps to submit their respective position papers.
“They [Vargas camp] are optimistic that the court had been sufficiently enlightened as to the necessity of issuing a TRO to prevent grave and irreparable damage to their rights,” Salud, also a former commissioner of the PBA, said.
A decision is set be released on the eve of Friday’s POC elections where, unless a TRO is issued, Jose ‘Peping’ Cojuangco is set to get a fourth term as president unopposed after Vargas was disqualified by the election committee of the national Olympic body.
Salud said the arguments revoled around the interpretation of 'active member' under the POC by-laws, which the election committee cited when it disqualified boxing chief Vargas from running as president of the POC.
The 'active member' clause was interpreted by the POC election committee as his attendance in general assembly meeting which the boxing chief didn’t meet.
Vargas, however, said the term ‘active member’ is vague and can be interpreted in different ways.