THE Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) decided to have the Philippine National Games set in Cebu City this December rescheduled for next year
Chairman William ‘Butch’ Ramirez made the announcement Friday after being confirmed of the change following the last coordination meeting with the local government unit last week.
“We are tentatively scheduling it on April 15 to 21, 2018. It will still be held in Cebu,” he said.
Moving the event was made “to make the necessary administration to ensure an efficiently run PNG,” added Ramirez.
PSC commissioner Arnold Agustin, who was also in attendance during the media briefing,, also announced that the Philippine Para National Games will likewise be moved in April next year.
Meanwhile, PSC executive director Atty. Sannah Frivaldo talked about the efforts being done by the government agency like the construction of new mess halls for the national team, both in Manila and Pasig.
She also talked about the refurbishment of the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex for the 2019 Southeast Asian Games hosting.
“Without the Rizal coliseum and the baseball stadium, we have a conservative estimate of P2 billion for RMSC,” according to Frivaldo.
At the height of talks on the possible selling of the land where the RMSC stands, the National Historical and Cultural Commission declared the said facilities of historical importance, thus it cannot be touched without the NHCC’s permission.
As per the early masterplan, two athlete dormitories inside are set to be renovated.
Ramirez shared the rehabilitation of the dormitories will be done “to make them fresh and new despite the old situation of the complex.”
Atty. Frivaldo is confident the construction will start “definitely for this year.”
With these developments, Ramirez expressed hope the coming improvement in sports facilities and equipment will be reciprocated with “better performance from our athletes in the 2019 SEA Games.”