ABRAHAM ‘Bambol’ Tolentino will run for another term as Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) president in the elections in November.
Tolentino made the announcement during Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum via video conference.
Tolentino also announced two members of his ticket with Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Al Panlilio running for first vice president and Ormoc City mayor Richard Gomez, president of the fencing and modern pentathlon federation, vying for the second vice president position.
Tolentino will be challenged by archery president Clint Aranas.
Tolentino, the Cavite eighth district representative and cycling federation chief, took over the POC presidency following a special elections held in July last year. Tolentino is serving the unfinished term of Ricky Vargas, who resigned as POC president a month before the special polls.
“Hindi naman natin tinatago. Definitely, I will run as president dahil hindi naman full-term ’yung tinakbuhan ko. I just ran to fill up the gap when Mr. Vargas resigned,” said Tolentino.
The filing of certificates of candidacy will begin on October 1 and will run for the entire month.
Tolentino declined to reveal his other running mates other than the names of Panlilio and Gomez, who is also the chef de mission of the country in the 2018 Asian Games.
“My ticket is almost complete. I just want to announce the three first. Three kasi kasama ako. Next week, if you’ll ask me, I can answer the other officers,” said Tolentino.
Other positions in the POC elections are chairman, treasurer, auditor, and four board members.