COME SEA Games time at New Clark City, you won't need to run your own athletics course just to get around the Sports Complex.
The Bases Conversion Development Authority (or BCDA, which operates New Clark City) and mobility company PT Autozentrum Inc. just inked a partnership to provide an electric kick scooter service called Ridee for New Clark City. It will be launched just in time for the SEA Games at the end of November. Yes, you can coast around the shiny new facilities on one of these:
We called up Alfred Roa, CEO of PT Autozentrum, to see how it would work.
1. The Ridee app will be launched on November 15.
2. For now, payment will be strictly on a credit card basis, though Roa says that they’re also exploring other payment methods.
3. You’ll need a national ID and credit card information to start using Ridee. “I know that not everyone will have a credit card,” Roa explains, “but we do need some national ID and credit card information to give accountability.”
4. How much would it cost? “Our initial prices are about P1,000 a day for 24 hours,” Roa says. “But we’re also looking at a more affordable per hour model.”
5. There will be a centralized pick-up and drop-off point. Using location data from your phone, Ridee will be able to track where users will go. There will be GPS-based geofences as well, to restrict usage within a certain area inside New Clark City. No joyrides to Mabalacat to watch the archery games, then.
6. They will be deploying 50 electric kick scooters for the SEA Games.
Roa is upbeat about Ridee’s prospects, and says that the SEA Games rollout is just a pilot project. They’ll be using what they’ve learned from New Clark City to bring Ridee to other parts of the country. “[This test] will help us R&D our business model. For the moment, we’d like to keep it in controlled environments,” he says.
For his part, BCDA president and CEO Vince Dizon is happy that SEA Games attendees will be zipping around on these scooters. “We are glad to offer the people a new mobility experience that is comfortable and convenient during the SEA Games,” he says in a statement to the media. “The walkable and bikeable New Clark City is the perfect place for this service.”