HONG KONG - Angelo Que fired a three-under-par 67 to be just three shots off the leader halfway through the US$1.3 million Hong Kong Open on Friday.
Together with an opening 69, the in-form Que put together a four-under 136 total for a share of sixth place behind solo leader Jbe Kruger of South Africa in the event co-sanctioned by the Asian and European Tours.
Kruger followed an opening 66 with a 67 for a 133 total going to the weekend play.
Que, who has four top five finishes this season, made the turn at 34 but came to life with five successive birdies from the 10th to be among the provisional leaders.
“Making five birdies in a row on this course is pretty amazing. I haven’t done that in a while. I’m still up there and still pretty close,” said Que.
The 35-year-old Asian Tour regular could've been much closer to the leaders if not for two bogeys over his last three holes.
"I bogeyed those two holes only because of bad shots as I didn’t hit them that well,” said Que, who nonetheless have few complaints about his form this season.
“I’ve had a lot of confidence the whole year and I think this has been one of my most consistent years. I’ve been putting the best so far and hopefully this week will be a win for me.”
Stuart Manley is all alone in second place at six-under after a second straight 67 while Alex Cejka of Germany, Wade Ormsby of Australia and India's Shiv Kapur are tied for third at five-under.
Two other Filipino golfers - Juvic Pagunsan (70) and Tony Lascuna (69) - made the cut right on the number at one-over.