Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Sat, Jul 21

    'Miscommunication' puts Kobe Paras and Co.'s stint in Youth Olympic Games in jeopardy

    Jun 19, 2014

    A 'MISCOMMUNICATION' is threatening to stymie the participation of Kobe Paras and the rest of Philippine 3-on-3 basketball team to the 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China.

    Chef de mission Jonne Go confirmed that there won’t be a Filipino basketball team in the August 16-28 meet based on the latest communication between Games organizers and the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC).

    Go said there appeared to be a ‘miscommunication’ between Fiba and the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) after the country won the Fiba-Asia Under-18 3-on-3 championship last year with a team composed of Paras, Thirdy Ravena, Arvin Tolentino, and Prince Rivero.

    The charming lady chef de mission said SBP is appealing for the Philippines’ last-minute inclusion.

    “They (SBP) believed kasi na after winning the Fiba-Asia they can earn a slot to the Youth Olympic Games. I don’t know what happened, but they are making the necessary communication to Fiba,” she added.

    For winning the Asian crown, Paras and Co. earned a berth in the Fiba-World Under-18 3-on-3 Championship in Jakarta, where the young Paras, son of cage great Benjie Paras, made noise by winning the slam dunk competition of the event by jumping over a motorcycle.

    Paras would have anchored the Filipino 3-on-3 team to the YOG behind new teammates Manuel Mosqueda and John Paul Cauilan of National University, along with La Salle Greenhills’ Amado San Juan.

    Following the development, only archers Luis Gabriel Moreno and Bianca Cristina Gotuaco, artistic gymnast Ava Loren Verdeflor, and triathlete Victorija Evania Deldio have qualified to represent the country to the second edition of the YOG.

    Continue reading below ↓
    Read Next
    We recommend
    MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
    Sponsored Content
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result