A LEGAL opinion obtained by the United Football League (UFL) favored Global FC in its tug-of-war with Stallion for banned strike star Rufo Sanchez, documents obtained by Spin.ph showed.
The UFL two weeks ago imposed a one-year ban on Sanchez, who signed a contract with Global last month after insisting his previous deal with Stallion expired last August - a claim disputed by former Stallion coach Ernie Nierras who said the talented booter is still under contract until next year.
UFL media officer Jing Jamlang told Spin.ph last week that the league has hired legal counsel only last Thursday to help resolve the case. The UFL has yet to release the result of the study.
Sanchez’s Stallion contract ending on August 15, 2013 included a team option to renew the Spanish striker’s contract for another year, which was required to be in writing and delivered personally or through registered mail.
The lawyer said he understood that Stallion contacted Sanchez through email — which was acceptable — on August 3 and 9 to inform the Spaniard of the team’s desire to extend him. However, the lawyer said he saw no proof that Sanchez received the copy.
Thus, the lawyer said "FC Stallion failed to properly exercise its option to renew the Stallion contract during the term of such contract.”
The lawyer also noted the previous deal was “no longer in force” when Stallion submitted its roster for the UFL preseason last month.
Jamlang did not deny the presence of the legal opinion, saying it “was considered a preliminary recommendation, with the UFL making it clear that the disputed player should not be played in the meantime.”
The UFL slapped Sanchez with the season ban when the Spanish striker neglected the league order by playing for Global in the Singapore Cup semifinals.
“The insistence to field the player led to the overturning of the results and a stern warning,” Jamlang said.