THE Philippine Football Federation (PFF) on Saturday announced the termination of its agreement with league operator Triple CH Holdings Co. Ltd., the organizer of the Philippine Premier League (PFL).
In a press release, the PFF said its board of governors led by president Mariano ‘Nonong’ Araneta approved the move.
The decision ends the very brief run of the PFL as the national league. The weeks leading up to the opening match was a shaky one, with several postponements of the league opener. It finally pushed through last week with Kaya FC Iloilo beating Globe Green Archers United, 3-0, and Mendiola FC and Philippine Air Force playing in a 2-2 draw.
However, Ceres Negros FC, Stallion Laguna FC and Global Cebu FC later withdrew from the PFL.
Even with the decision, the PFF assured a national league named Philippines Football League willbe held.
The federation will hold a meeting with the PFL clubs including the three which withdrew its participation with plans for the league to kick off in the middle of May.
“PFF assures the football community and everyone that the league will continue its deliberate strides to be a successful national league, one which inspires young footballers in the country and one whose winners are eligible for nomination by PFF to compete in AFC competitions in 2020 and the years to come,” said the PFF in the statement.