HOLLYWOOD – Not so fast, Juan Manuel Marquez.
The veteran Mexican may have knocked the lights out of Manny Pacquiao, but that doesn’t give him the license to ask for the moon if and when a fifth fight between him and his Filipino rival will be made.
Michael Koncz, adviser to the 33-year-old Filipino icon, said both camps should still maintain negotiations at a reasonable level, even though Marquez now owns the most decisive victory in his four meetings with Pacquiao following the spectacular sixth-round knockout he scored on Saturday night at the MGM Grand.
“If they come back to us now and say, 'We knocked you out, so we deserve the lion’s share,’ another fight will never happen again,” said Koncz.
Marquez was guaranteed US$3 million and Pacquiao US$23 million for the fourth fight, figures that were expected to go up considerably considering initial estimates show pay-per-view figures are expected to surpass the 1.25 million buys of their third fight.
The Canadian is not taking anything away from the durable 39-year-old former accountant, whom he credited for "getting Manny with a good punch." Still, Koncz was quick to remind everyone who cared to listen that until the ill-fated ending, Pacquiao was actually winning the fight.
“I don’t think that losing is a key ingredient. It’s how you lost. We were winning every round of the fight. We were dominating the fight,” said Koncz.
Pacquiao’s adviser said they will only entertain offers for another fight with Marquez under "reasonable terms."
“If they come to us with a reasonable offer, we can always entertain Marquez as long as Marquez’s team doesn’t get a swollen head just because he knocked us out,” he said.
Otherwise, Koncz said there are a lot of other options to explore.
“There’s no rush to decide on anything,” he said. “But there is Brandon Rios and a couple of other guys we can look at, but we haven’t really discussed it. It’s Christmas time.”
Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, had earlier said that it is not possible to make another fight between the two rivals in time for Filipino hero's targeted return date of April given the expected magnitude of a Pacquiao-Marquez V.
“No. 5 is now the biggest fight in boxing, bigger than Pacquiao-Mayweather,” Arum told the Los Angeles Times. “The idea we’d be ready to fight April 20 is ludicrous."