CAMERON Dunkin, team manager of reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight title holder Tim Bradley, denied knowledge of a reported September fight between his boxer and Mexican great Juan Manuel Marquez.
In a report by MyDesert.com., Dunkin said he doesn’t know anything about reports coming out of Mexico City saying the 39-year-old Marquez has confirmed that he’ll be taking on the unbeaten Bradley on September 14 at the Thomas and Mack Center.
“We don’t know anything about it. I don’t know anything about it. I know Monica (Bradley’s wife) and Tim don’t know anything about it,” said Dunkin in the short interview.
Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KOs) earlier told ESPN Deportes Radio that after being given two options on whom to fight in his ring return, the Mexican legend opted to pick Bradley instead of Mike Alvarado.
“I like challenges. Bradley would be a difficult fight for me. Apart from being a world champion, it would be a challenge to fight him and win another title in a fifth division, which for me is something that fills me with pride to have the opportunity to try,” said the Mexican, who is coming off a sensational sixth-round knockout of longtime Filipino rival Manny Pacquiao in their fourth encounter last December.
Like Marquez, Bradley (30-0, 12 KOs) also holds the distinction of having beaten Pacquiao, having scored a controversial split decision last June to wrest the WBO 147-title belt from the eight-time world champion.
The 29-year-old American from Cathedral City, California retained his WBO crown by scoring a unanimous decision over former Pacquiao sparmate Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia just last month.
Following Marquez’s announcement that all but ruled out a fifth meeting between him and Pacquiao this year, reports came out the Filipino is now considering an October showdown with Alvarado instead.