COMING off a controversial loss, boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao is eager to get back in the ring and fight anybody pitted against him, be it tormentor Tim Bradley, longtime rival Juan Manuel Maquez, or hated nemesis Floyd Mayweather Jr.
“Basta lalaban ako, kahit sino basta boxer,” said Pacquiao, who took time out from his busy schedule to attend his induction as president of the Rotary Manila District 101 on Tuesday night at the Sofitel Hotel.
It has been more than a month since the 33-year-old Filipino yielded his World Boxing Organization welterweight title belt against Bradley in a highly-disputed split decision condemned by many around the world.
While there is a provision of a rematch clause in the fight contract with Bradley, Pacquiao has yet to decide whether to pick up the option or take on another fighter instead.
He said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, will be arriving in the country next month to discuss with him the possibilities for his next fight by November.
“Wala pa, hindi pa natin alam kung sino,” added Pacquiao during the hour-long, formal event.
Arum has been open to a possible rematch with Bradley, but he appears eager to make the twice-aborted Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. showdown a reality.
Although the mega-fight the world awaits had been deferred time and again, Arum remains optimistic the bout will take place if not later this year, perhaps in 2013, with Floyd Jr. set to be released from his 90-day jail sentence by next month.
The veteran boxing promoter wants to make known Pacquiao’s next opponent by the second week of August.