Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Tue, Jul 17

    PH hopeful of stint in Asian boxing tilt as Bangkok organizers ease security fears

    Aug 24, 2015

    THE men’s national boxing team hopes to do well in the ASBC Asian Confederation Boxing Championships in Bangkok despite the two separate bombing incidents that hit the Thai capital last week.

    Association of Boxing Alliances in the Philippines (ABAP) executive director Ed Picson said AIBA (International Boxing Association) and the host country assured that security within the city is under control, guaranteeing that all is set for the Aug. 26 to Sept. 5 meet that serves as qualifier for the World Boxing Championships in Doha, Qatar this October.

    The team handled by Pat Gaspi, Nolito Velasco, and Rey Galido already left for Bangkok on Monday.

    “Bangkok assured everything is safe,” said Picson, who will join the team later this week.

    The week-long meet comes just as Bangkok is still reeling from a bombing incident that rocked the Erawan Shine at the Ratchaprasong intersection in Pathum Wan District last Monday, killing 20 people and injuring 125 others.

    A similar blast took place the following day although no one was hurt.

    The five-man team is composed of Rojen Ladon (49 kg), Ian Clark Bautista (52 kg), Mario Fernandez (56 kg), Charly Suarez (60 kg), and Eumir Felix Marcial (69 kg).

    The top seven boxers in each division will earn berths in the AIBA World Championships, which serve as qualifier to the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

    The gold, silver, and bronze medal winners in the world championship will automatically qualify to next year’s Summer Games.

    Read Next
    We recommend
    MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
    Sponsored Content
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result