Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Tue, Jul 17

    Pacquiao will have to settle for a lot less in Mayweather fight, says adviser

    Jan 2, 2013

    BOXING star Manny Pacquiao will have no choice but to accept the lesser purse if and when negotiations for a mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. start over again.

    Rex `Wakee’ Salud, one of several Pacquiao business advisers, admitted the two losses suffered by the 34-year-old Filipino last year has dented his status as one of the biggest names and top draws in boxing today.

    “Malaking bagay talaga `yung talo niya, tapos dalawang sunod pa,” said Salud, shaking his head.

    Salud said the all-in US$40 million offer by Mayweather which Pacquiao declined last February may no longer be on the table, adding the Filipino ring star may be forced to settle for a purse in the vicinity of US$30 million if he wants the fight to push through.

    “Siguro, pwede kaming bumaba sa US$30 million kung gugustuhin ni Pretty Boy Floyd, pero siyempre depende sa takbo ng negosasyon at desisyon ni Manny yun,” said Salud.

    Year 2012 saw the 'Pacman' lose twice in a row for the first time in his legendary career. He yielded his World Boxing Organization welterweight title belt to Timothy Bradley in a stunning split decision last June, and then dropped a shocking sixth-round knockout against longtime Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez just last month.

    Salud admitted the setbacks could definitely be used by the Mayweather camp as leverage in the negotiations.

    But Salud said if ever the bout pushes through, he sees it happening not this year but in 2014.

    “Wala na, hindi pwede this year yun, kasi September pa next fight ni Manny,” he said, referring to the projected ring return of Pacquiao in the final quarter of the year, most probably against Marquez.

    Continue reading below ↓
    Read Next
    We recommend
    MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
    Sponsored Content
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result