FOUR-time world champion Nonito Donaire Jr expects to make a comeback fight late in September or early October after signing up with Ringstar Sports this week.
Donaire's new promotional outfit is owned by former Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who signed the 'Filipino Flash' to a multi-fight contract.
The 34-year-old Donaire, who held title belts at flyweight, bantamweight, super bantamweight, and featherweight, fought for a long time under the Top Rank Promotions banner.
But he had an amicable parting of ways with promoter Bob Arum after the Filipino failed to get a rematch with Jessie Magdaleno, who beat Donaire via unanimous decision last year to strip him of his WBO 122 pound crown.
"Exploring what was out there in the new landscape of boxing is unnerving and exciting," said Donaire on Wednesday.
“I have known Richard for many years and have always respected what he has been able to do for the fighters he promotes,” added Donaire. “At this point in my career, I want the biggest fights possible and Richard’s track record to deliver them speaks for itself.”
Among the possible big fights out there for Donaire in his return to featherweight include current champions Leo Sta. Cruz, Abner Mares, Lee Selby, or even former title holder Carl Frampton.
All four fighters are handled by Al Haymon, who’s a close associate of Schaefer.
“Nonito wants to fight at 126 pounds again, and it’s one of the hottest weight classes in the sport,” said Schaefer.
“We’ll get Nonito a fight in September or early October, a 10-round fight. We’ve been talking about opponents,” he added.
Donaire (37-4, with 24 KOs) recently left Manila for Japan where he currently established a training camp.