Jonas Sultan aims for knockout win against titleholder Jerwin Ancajas
Jonas Sultan, whose three losses were bvy decision, looks to score a stoppage against Jerwin Ancajas.

FRESNO, California — Jonas Sultan needs to bring in a challenger’s mentality if he is to stun the world on Saturday night (Sunday, Manila time).

Edito Villamor believes Sultan will have to score a knockout or come up with a dominant performance for him to dethrone Jerwin Ancajas in their 12-round match for the International Boxing Federation super-flyweight crown at the Save Mart Center.

The veteran trainer added it would be hard to beat a champion in a fight that goes the distance, leaving everything at the hands of the three judges scoring the bout.

“Kailangan,” he said when asked if Sultan’s corner will be aiming for a knockout. “Challenger, e.”

“Actually, kahit hindi knockout, kahit walang knockdown. Basta impressive at dominant.”

Ancajas, 26, has only lost once in 31 pro fights, and it came in a majority decision loss against Mark Anthony Geraldo in Lapu-Lapu City in Cebu in 2012.

Since then, he has racked up 16 straight wins, the last four by way of knockouts to retain his 115-pound title belt.

But Villamor still likes Sultan’s chances against the prohibitive favorite.

“Jonas needs to pressure Jerwin and carry the fight to him,” said the trainer, who once fought the great Mexican warrior Ricardo Lopez for the World Boxing Council minimumweight crown.

The 26-year-old Sultan’s record is at 14 wins (with 9 KOs), with his only three losses coming by decision.

Villamor said Sultan is hardly intimidated by Ancajas, despite twice the recipient of a mean stare from the champion during Thursday’s final presser and on weigh-in day.

“He’s not scared,” added Villamor.

 

Follow the writer on Twitter: @gerardmos