After loss by stablemate Sultan, Nietes expresses willingness to mix it up with Ancajas
Donnie Nietes is open to a unification match against Jerwin Ancajas. Alvin S. Go

FRESNO, CALIFORNIA – Given the chance now that he’s moving up in weight, Donnie Nietes is up to the challenge of facing countryman Jerwin Ancajas.

Nietes was at ringside when Ancajas outworked and outpointed his ALA boxing stablemate Jonas Sultan on Saturday to retain his International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-flyweight crown at the Save Mart Center here.

The one-sided victory opened the door for a possible showdown between two of the active world champions from the Philippines.

“Basta ako kahit sino lalaban ako,” said Nietes when asked if he’s willing to face the 26-year-old Ancajas in the ring. “Siyempre magkatimbang kami, so hindi maiiwasan na makakalaban ko rin siya.”

Nietes, 36, is set to make his debut in the 115-pound division on August 18 when he vies for the vacant World Boxing Organization (WBO) title belt opposite fellow Filipino Aston Palicte at the Cebu Coliseum.

The pride of Murcia, Negros Occidental and star fighter of ALA boxing stable, relinquished his IBF flyweight crown to move up to super-flyweight. 

A win over Palicte and a fourth world title in a fourth weight division could set up Nietes (41-1-4, 23 KOs) for a potential unification meeting with Ancajas in yet another Filipino versus Filipino championship match.

Nietes said he’s ready if ever his promoter makes the fight.

“Depende sa manager at promoter ko kung sino ang gusto nilang i-negotiate. Basta prepared ako,” said the longest reigning Filipino world champion of all time.

Nietes previously held titles at minimumweight, light-flyweight, and flyweight divisions.   

Follow the writer on Twitter: @gerardmos