THE ring return of Manny Pacquiao just took another major twist.
Pacquiao is now set for a December 1 fight against a still undetermined foe, delaying once more his scheduled comeback as speculations continue to swirl on a possible fight with nemesis Floyd Mayweather Jr.
The change in the fight schedule, originally set on November 10, was first reported by The Ring website.
Quoting Pacquiao’s personal adviser Michael Konz, The Ring said the date was adjusted to give the 33-year-old boxing pride of the Philippines time to take care of some important personal matters.
“We’ve informed Top Rank that we can’t go on November 10,” said Konz.
“So (Top Rank CEO) Bob Arum has moved the date now to December 1, and he’s done that at our request due to conflicting schedules with the boxing and Manny’s personal affairs.”
The new fight date only substantiated earlier speculations that Pacquiao is more interested in fighting the unbeaten Mayweather next than facing the boxers Arum had been offering him -- reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Timothy Bradley, Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez, and Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto.
Arum came to the country two weeks ago and talked with Pacquiao about his next fight. But other than the November 10 date, the veteran promoter went back to the US without a clear assurance on who the Filipino boxer will fight next.
But following a meeting with Arum in New York, Konz said their choice still revolves among the three boxing champions.
“I met with Bob Arum in New York, and had further discussions,” said Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser. “We talked about Bradley, Cotto, and Marquez, but we have not selected an opponent. I will relay those discussions to Manny within the next day or two.”