NOTHING is cast in stone for Manny Pacquiao, whether it be a rematch against tormentor Jeff Horn or a retirement fight here in the country.
“Nothing is definite yet,” said the 38-year-old boxing legend when asked about his boxing plans during the formal launch on Tuesday of the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL), a new cage meet headed no less by Pacquiao.
The Filipino senator issued the clarification in light of contrasting statements regarding his future in the ring.
Top Rank Promotions earlier said a rematch with Horn also to be held in Australia is already in the works for November 12 following Pacquiao’s disputed unanimous decision loss to the Aussue fighter last July 2 at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.
But just last week, Department of Tourism secretary Wanda Corazon Teo disclosed the camp of Pacquiao had approached them for a possible tie-up to stage the Filipino’s next fight here in December. Teo said the agency is eyeing the Philippine Arena as the probable sight of the bout.
Pacquiao's longtime business manager, Rep. Eric Pineda of 1Pacman party, represented the boxing legend during the meeting with Secretary Teo.
Top Rank Promotions chairman Bob Arum, though, said plans of holding a Pacquiao-Horn rematch in the Philippines is not possible since as per the contract clause, a return bout between the two should still be held in Australia.
But Pacquiao admitted during the MPBL launching it is his dream to really fight in front of his countrymen before he finally retires from the sport that has been so good to him.
”It’s my dream,” he said. “it will be my gift to my countrymen.”