Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Wed, Sep 26

    Sultan ready to challenge countryman Ancajas in mandatory title fight, says handler

    Feb 19, 2018
    Jerwin Ancajas watches a PBA game at the Philippine Arena on Sunday night. Clems Dela Cruz

    JONAS Sultan's camp said the up and coming fighter is ready to take on Jerwin Ancajas if the mandatory challenge for his compatriot's International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-flyweight title is given the green light in June.

    Trainer Edito ‘Ala’ Villamor stressed the 26-year-old Sultan earned the right to challenge Ancajas for his crown and therefore should be given the chance to vie for his first-ever world title, never mind if the title bout pits two Filipino boxers.

    “Mandated sa IBF sir, kaya okay kami,” said Villamor in a correspondence with SPIN.ph from Los Angeles, where he currently trains reigning IBF flyweight king Donnie Nietes for his title defense against Juan Carlos Reveco of Argentina at Inglewood, California next week.

    Sultan lined himself up for a shot at Ancajas’ crown when he scored a 12-round decision against former two-time world champion John Riel Casimero  in their title eliminator last year in Cebu City.

    Initially, ALA Boxing Promotions president Michael Aldeguer balked at the idea of seeing two Filipino fighters go at each other in a world championship bout. Sultan, who hails from Tampilisan, Zamboanga del Norte is fighting out of the ALA boxing stable.

    The Cebu-based boxing outfit, however, had a change of heart and gave its consent if the IBF orders the mandatory title bout.

    ALSO READ
    ALSO READ

      Sultan, nicknamed Zorro, and holder of a 14-3 record with 9 KOs, earned the title shot following his decision win over Casimero last September, according to Villamor.

      Continue reading below ↓

      “OK naman sir kung natuloy ang laban nila,” he said. “Yes, alanganin nga noon pagkatapos ng Sultan-Casimero (fight), parang hindi tayo masaya.”

      “But it’s a big opportunity ni Sultan na makalaban si Jerwin,” Villamor added. “Sabi nga ni Jerwin mismo, pinaghirapan din naman ni Sultan na maging mandatory challenger.”

      If ever, this will only be the first time two Filipino fighters clash for a world title since the legendary Pancho Villa beat Clever Sencio of Leyte by unanimous decision for the world flyweight crown in 1925.

      Ancajas (29-1, 20KOs) is coming off a 10th-round stoppage of Mexican Israel Gonzalez to retain his IBF crown two weeks ago in his US debut at the American Bank Center in Texas.

      Read Next
      We recommend
      MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
      Sponsored Content
      Jerwin Ancajas watches a PBA game at the Philippine Arena on Sunday night. Clems Dela Cruz
    • POLL

      • Quiz

        Quiz Result