MEXICAN Jorge Arce may yet be the most aggressive, but not necessarily the toughest opponent Nonito Donaire Jr. will be facing inside the ring.
“In terms of sheer aggressor, si Arce siguro `yung toughest kasi alam ninyo naman `yung mga Mexicano, they’re very tough, and they won’t stop punching,” said the 29-year-old Filipino considered as one of the top five fighters in the world today, pound-for-pound.
Donaire gets to find that out personally as his long-awaited showdown with the Mexican warrior was finally sealed on Tuesday when Top Rank promoter Bob Arum declared the super-bantamweight title showdown as a "done deal."
Instead of Mexico City as earlier planned, the 12-round fight will be held at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas on December 15, with Donaire staking his World Boxing Organization (WBO) 122-lb.. belt.
With due respect to Arce, Donaire considered Fernando Montiel, another Mexican, as his toughest match yet.
“As for the toughest opponent, as much as Montiel was an easy fight in people’s sight, but inside that ring, you have to use your brain because I know if I made a mistake I have to pay for it,” said Donaire of his sensational second-round technical knockout of Montiel last year in a unification fight for the world bantamweight championship.
“So in as much as I did a great job of boxing him, it was actually difficult setting him up.”
The champion is currently in Japan and watched at ringside when Gamaliel Diaz dethroned Japanese Takahiro Ao for the World Boxing Council super-featherweight title.
Donaire also beat a Japanese in Toshiaki Nishioka in his last defense of his WBO belt two weeks ago, winning by technical knockout in the ninth round.
But in so doing, he suffered a deep wound on his left hand that needed at least eight stitches to close.
Donaire is now resting the injured hand, and according to doctors, by mid-November he can likely start to spar again.
“As of now, I have been running and doing shadow boxing to keep in shape, and maintain my endurance,” Donaire said.