FLOYD Mayweather Jr. is coming over to Manila this week, fanning even more speculations about negotiations for his rematch with Manny Pacquiao.
But sorry to disappoint, there won’t be a second meeting between the two boxing superstars the way they met by chance in Tokyo, Japan last week that opened the door for a possible return bout.
Mayweather will be back in the country for the second time in five months to do some endorsements deals.
Pacquiao however, won’t be around to meet with him not unless the 40-year-old American will go out of his way to personally see his old rival in General Santos City.
“Nasa GenSan ako Thursday or Friday,” the 39-year-old Senator said late Monday night when reporters visited him at his Dasmarinas abode and told about Mayweather’s arrival.
Mayweather also went to the country last April and visited the beaches of Palawan and Samal Island.
The eighth-time world division champion added there is no concrete deal yet on his rematch with Mayweather despite the ‘Money Man’ announcing on his Instagram last Saturday that he’s coming back this December to face Pacquiao anew.
“Wala namang usapan, nagtagpo lang,” Pacquiao said of his encounter with Mayweather in Tokyo.
“Maganda lang kasi nagkahamunan, nagka-prangkahan,” he added. “Pina-finalize pa namin.”
But whether it will be Mayweather or a different opponent he will face in his next fight, Pacquiao said he’s definitely taking his act to the U.S. once again.
“Kahit hindi si Floyd, sa U.S. ang laban,” he stressed. “Matagal na akong hindi nakapunta sa U.S.
The last time Pacquiao fought in Las Vegas was in 2016 when he defeated Jessie Vargas for the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown.
And if ever, it’s either in December or January.
“December or January. January 12,” he said.
Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph