GRAND plans had been laid down for boxing prospect Eumir Marcial’s first-ever fight as a pro.
A two-month training in Los Angeles and a scheduled pro debut by October.
Problem is the Olympic-bound Filipino middleweight has yet to secure a license as a pro from the Games and Amusements Board (GAB).
“Wala pa as of now. Naghihintay lang po kami. Very welcome po (siya),” said GAB chairman Baham Mitra.
The 24-year-old Marcial was supposed to go to the GAB office in Makati last week, but failed to show up.
Nonetheless, with Metro Manila reverting to Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) that limited movement of people, Mitra said Marcial and his camp can try the online application of his office.
“Meron na kaming online application by appointment,” said Mitra, adding applying through online by appointment would also be better in observing health protocols in this time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Siyempre nag-i-ingat din. We also practice social distancing and proper decorum inside the GAB,” said Mitra in the Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum webcast on Tuesday.
Marcial officially turned pro three weeks ago after signing a lucrative six-year deal with MP Promotions of boxing legend and senator Manny Pacquiao.
MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons disclosed the outfit is seeking to have Marcial make his boxing debut in Los Angeles sometime in October.
The silver medalists of last year’s AIBA World Championship is supposed to depart for the U.S. and start his training camp this month, but the plan obviously has to be pushed back as no flights out of the country are allowed under MECQ.
Gibbons said Marcial might be doing four bouts in the U.S. before being allowed to fully concentrate on his training for the Tokyo Olympics.