Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Fri, Jul 20

    Dream fight in peril as Donaire's rival Arce 'wants more money'

    Oct 23, 2012

    NONITO Donaire Jr. the reigning World Boxing Organization (WBO) super-bantamweight champion, hopes Mexican slugger Jorge Arce won’t price himself out again of a projected December 15 showdown.

    The boxer considered the best in the 122-lb. division said money issues had been the perennial stumbling block for the long-awaited slugfest between him and Arce that had been put in the backburner several times in the past.

    And with Top Rank Promotions chairman Bob Arum yet to officially confirm the reported title fight to be held in Mexico City until Tuesday, the 29-year-old Donaire suspects the Mexican camp is again demanding a bigger piece of the purse.

    “Definitely our fight is not pushing through because they’re demanding a lot of money,” said Donaire in the regular weekly PSA Forum. “Well, it’s not my decision because I already have a minimum fee. I have a set price.

    “But they (Arce camp) want more. For them, I’m the biggest money out there. He’s asking for too much money. Definitely, it’s the money.”

    Like the highly-anticipated Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr duel, a Donaire-Arce war has long been talked about, too, dating back from the time when the Filipino was still the International Boxing Federation flyweight king.

    Shortly after the Filipino’s 12-round decision over Jeffrey Mathebula last July, negotiations for a fight with Arce were again initiated, only for the talks to fall apart again and led Donaire to take on Toshiaki Nishioka instead.

    “Kaya hindi natuloy `yung laban because they demanded a lot of money,” said Donaire while his lovely wife, Rachel, sat and listened beside him.

    Continue reading below ↓

    Arum is supposed to make a formal announcement of the Donaire-Arce bout within the week, but only when he is officially presented the fight contract will the Filipino consider the match a done deal.

    “For now nothing is sure. I haven’t seen any contract. It’s been all talk. I haven’t talked to Bob as to when and where it’s going to be,” he added.

    Donaire said the next two weeks would be enough for Top Rank to check on the nitty-gritty of the fight contract including the prize purse involved.

    If no agreement is made, then the champion would rather take the rest of the year off.

    “If they don’t give us a definite answer in two weeks, I will go the route of resting,” said the Filipino, who already fought thrice and won thrice this year.

    Read Next
    We recommend
    MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
    Sponsored Content
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result