WORLD title contender Denver Cuello sees World Boxing Organization (WBO) minimumweight champion Merlito Sabillo winning inside eight rounds over Jorle Estrada of Colombia in their title fight Saturday night at Solaire Resort and Casino Hotel.
Cuello made the fearless forecast as he believes his Filipino compatriot has the superior boxing skills than his Colombian challenger.
“Alam ko `yung quality ni Merlito. Nakita ko na siya dating lumaban. Hindi kakayanin ni Estrada yan,” said Cuello, who’s currently on vacation in his hometown Cabatuan in Iloilo when reached by Spin.ph.
“Matalinong fighter si Sabillo. Wise siya, aatrasan ang kalaban pag alam niyang delikado siya, pero susugurin kung tantiya niya kaya niya,” added the 25-year-old fighter, who also campaigns in the minimumweight division.
Cuello also pointed out the high knockout percentage of Sabillo, who has knocked out 11 of his 22 opponents.
“Mabigat sumuntok iyan. Yung kalaban mahina ang suntok, mahina pa ang panga. Tatlo sa mga talo niya knock-out eh,” he said while as he looked at Estrada’s inferior 17-6 record, including 6 KOs.
Sabillo is defending his 105-lb world title belt for the very first time.
Meanwhile, Cuello revealed his scheduled non-invasive surgery to repair torn rotator cuff will be administered -- free of charge -- by Dr. Beng Javier at the Makati Medical Center.
“Gusto ko nang gumaling. At pagkatapos ng operasyon, asahan nila babalik si Denver Cuello,” he said with the hope of returning to action in seven months.
Fighting with only one arm the whole match due to the injury, Cuello lost a controversial decision to World Boxing Council minimumweight champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China last month.