REDONDO BEACH, CALIFORNIA – The camp of Mark Barriga will aggressively try to bring his first-ever crack at a world championship in Manila.
International matchmaker Sean Gibbons disclosed on Sunday his plan to engage the camp of reigning minimumweight champion Hiroto Kyoguchi of Japan in a purse bid for the next defense of his International Boxing Federation (IBF) crown.
Gibbons said the scheduled fight is set for a September playdate either in Manila or Japan.
“I think if we’ll do a purse bid, we will do well,” said Gibbons, who also serves in the same capacity with IBF super-flyweight title holder Jerwin Ancajas.
Barriga lined himself up for a fight against Kyoguchi after disposing of Gabriel Mendoza of Colombia in a 12-round unanimous decision in their title eliminator fight in Manila last week.
“We won the fight for the No. 1 ranking, but the IBF doesn’t order (a mandatory fight) until July 31 with Mark Barriga as the top contender,” said the American matchmaker.
Kyoguchi not being a big star yet in Japan all the more gives the Barriga camp an excellent chance at winning the purse bid and landing the fight for the country.
The 24-year-old Japanese champion is coming off a successful defense of his title last Sunday in Tokyo after a unanimous decision win over Filipino Vince Paras. Kyoguchi raised his record to 10-0 overall, with seven KOs.
Barriga of course, would rather have the fight held in the Philippines.
“Mas maganda siyempre sa Pilipinas,” said the 2012 London Olympian. “Pero kung doon man sa Japan, ready naman tayo.”