REIGNING World Boxing Organization super-bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr. is ending year 2012 with a bang.
The 29-year-old Donaire is booked for a December 15 title match in Mexico City with certified banger Jorge Arce in an expected slam-bang encounter pitting two of the division’s elite fighters.
The highly-anticipated showdown was confirmed to ABS-CBN top executive Peter Musngi by Top Rank Promotions chairman Bob Arum early Saturday morning, coinciding with Donaire’s return to the country from the U.S.
The `Filipino Flash’ failed to hide his excitement when he was informed of the news by Musngi himself during a special press luncheon presented by ABS-CBN to welcome back Donaire following his successful title defense last week.
“That’s good news. It’s exciting dahil pang-apat ko na ito for the year,” said Donaire, who was accompanied by his lovely wife Rachel. “Si Arce is tailor-made for my style.”
Musngi said Arum will be making an official announcement on what could be one of the biggest fights to end the year within the coming week.
“The final word on that will come this Monday, but it looks like that’s one of the next biggest fights.”
Donaire is coming off a ninth-round technical knockout of Japanese Toshiaki Nishioka a week ago to retain his WBO title belt before a crowd of 7,500 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.
By the end of the 12-round match, Donaire’s left hand was a bloody mess after injuring it when he connected a solid uppercut that knocked down Nishioka in the sixth round.
The wound in the knuckles needed at least eight stitches to close, an incident that initially forced Donaire to declare he’ll be taking the rest of the year off.
Not until this mouth-watering fight with Arce came along.
“There’s some worry because of the injury, but the doctor said it’s ok if I will fight this December, “said Donaire as he showed the media the extent of the wound on his left hand that was still in bandage.
“I just need to rest for about a month.”
Donaire said six weeks of preparing for the Arce fight would be enough for him.
“I’m still in shape dahil kakalaban ko lang. I just have to maintain that level of intensity and training ok na ako,” he said.
“As long as I can go back to the gym na pag-start ng training 50 percent ready na ako. Huwag lang `yung mag-start ako from zero.”
Donaire began the year by clinching the WBO 122-lb title belt with a controversial split decision against Puerto Rican Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.
He followed it up by unifying the International Boxing Federation championship after scoring a unanimous decision over Jeffrey Mathebula of South Africa.
Donaire is also in the country for the October 31 showing of his first featured Visayan film Pala Ta Ang Nagbuot (Our Fate Decides).