Kobe Paras not turning pro, weighing offers from 'numerous US Division I schools' after leaving UCLA
According to a statement released by Middlesbrook Basketball, the UCLA Athletics Department has communicated to Kobe Paras and his family that Kobe is indeed a full academic qualifier per NCAA Eligibility Center academic requirements. Jerome Ascano

KOBE Paras is now in the process of sorting out offers from several NCAA Division 1 school after withdrawing from UCLA over an 'academic issue.'

A statement released by Middlebrooks Basketball indicated Paras has numerous offers from other Division 1 schools and that he is now in the process of deciding where to go next.

“Kobe Paras is actively looking for a D-1 college to attend and he has not opted to go pro,” said Middlesbrook in a statement, a copy of which was furnished by Kobe's father Benjie to SPIN.ph.

“Kobe does now have numerous D-1 offers that he is sorting through and will make an announcement as to where he will attend in the near future,” the school added.

The statement also included clarifications on the academic status of Paras and the events that led him to withdraw from UCLA, where he has previously committed to play for the Bruins.

Middlebrooks said Paras is “100 percent” qualified for any Division 1 school, and is an "accomplished high school student, and is even a high school chemistry Star Scholar award, a Physics and Calculus award winner, and an inductee of the California Scholarship Foundation, a multiple Honor Roll student, and graduated with honors at Cathedral High School."

Middlebrooks also said the UCLA Athletic Department upheld that Paras is academically qualified to enter the school, but the UCLA Admissions Department made a “corporate decision” to deny Paras admission to the school.

“The first point is the UCLA Athletic Department has communicated to Kobe and his family that Kobe is indeed a full academic qualifier per NCAA Eligibility Center academic requirements.

“The second point is the UCLA Admissions Department (which is a separate entity from the Athletic Department) made a corporate decision on June 28, 2016 to deny Kobe Paras admission to UCLA, thus prompting Kobe to leave UCLA’s summer school session immediately.”

Middlebrooks also said Paras does not have an on-court issue with UCLA, as he is very close to the team as well as to the coaching staff.

“The UCLA coaching staff and Kobe Paras are all deeply sorrowful over this university decision that is unfortunately beyond all of their control. However it is a decision that all parties must accept and move forward,” said the statement.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @reubensports