The NCAA hopes to avoid unfortunate incidents, like the traumatic shooting incident involving a cager last year as the 90th season of the league opens shop next week at the Mall of Asia Arena.
Almost a year after former Letran guard Franz Dysam and his girlfriend were ambushed after a game, policy board president Dr. Vincent Fabella of host Jose Rizal University stressed the safety of all involved in the country’s oldest collegiate organization is the priority.
“The security of the players, the students, and everyone who watch the NCAA is one of the most important issues of the policy board,” Fabella said on Monday during the press launch of the league’s ninth-decade anniversary.
Although he admitted there have yet been changes to security policies, the JRU president assured patrons the league is prepared to handle those types of incidents better.
“What we have done is we have reviewed the guidelines,” Fabella said. “Usually, we address the issue when it happens. When something happens, it’s usually because of a lapse in security. It has nothing to do with the policy.”
“But we continue to be vigilant,” he was quick to add. “We try to do our best to protect the welfare of the students, the alumni, and the parents."
Meanwhile, the rosters of all the basketball squads in the juniors and seniors division have been released and Fabella assured all the players are eligible to play.
“Every year, we seem to be more strict on eligibility and criteria to make sure that when players come in, and represent themselves to the universities, the records are complete and accurate para hindi nagkakagulo later on."