THE return of Ian Sangalang to San Sebastian will not materialize, after all.
Speaking a week after he bared the possibility of a comeback with the Stags, the reigning NCAA MVP said negotiations between his management team and San Sebastian’s athletic department fell through.
“I think wala na (chance). Hindi na naayos,” Sangalang told Spin.ph on Thursday. “Sayang nga. Hindi ko alam napag-usapan nila eh. Basta sabi sa akin hindi na daw tuloy.”
The 6-foot-6 star slotman from Pampanga had announced late last year that he was foregoing his final year of eligibility with the Stags largely due to the withdrawal of support of longtime team patron and newly elected Pampanga vice governor Dennis Pineda, who also acts as Sangalang’s manager.
But in a sudden change of heart, Sangalang told Spin.ph last week that negotiations were underway for his return to the team in time for this season's NCAA wars.
That failed to push through, however, after the talk among Atty. Charlie Chua – Pineda’s lawyer, the San Sebastian priests, and athletic director Frank Gusi.
Sangalang said Chua also negotiated on behalf of the other Pampanga-born cagers in Pineda’s stable like Dexter Maiquez, Michael Miranda, Michael Juico, who were all hoping for a Stags’ return as well.
Sangalang and his provincemates' return could have been a huge boost to the rebuilding Stags, who are now without the other two members of the so-called 'Pinatubo Trio' in former MVP Calvin Abueva and swingman Ronald Pascual.
The lefty center, who last played for the Pineda-owned EA Regen in the PBA D-League, is now planning to undergo a US training camp before entering the PBA rookie draft in November.
The 21-year-old Sangalang is also planning to his finish his business management course in another school.