LETRAN’S recent blow has been softened as Mark Cruz’s one-game suspension has been downgraded to a stern warning following an appeal made by the Knights.
While head coach Caloy Garcia remains suspended after getting ejected with two technical fouls in their 60-69 loss to Jose Rizal University last Monday, the Knights’ star point guard will now be able to play in their game on Monday against College of St. Benilde.
Cruz had been slapped with the suspension after he charged at referee Ian Borbe to complain over a non-call in the waning seconds of the defeat against the Bombers.
Letran’s management committee representative, Fr. Vic Calvo, O.P., argued that Cruz’s action didn’t merit a suspension.
“We asked for the appeal kasi hindi proportionate yung sanction dun sa violation,” Calvo told Spin.ph.
Calvo contested what Borbe wrote in his infraction form, saying Cruz “grabbed” him.
“But according to Mark Cruz, he did not grab (the referee),” Calvo said. “And based sa evidence and witnesses…walang holding, walang grabbing.”
Calvo presented the argument to the ManCom, but inhibited himself when the decision was made.
The concurrent athletic director of Letran also confirmed that the three-game suspension of Borbe has been upgraded.
Although he refused to say how long the referee’s new suspension would be as he is not authorized to issue a statement on the matter, Calvo dropped a hint.
ManCom chair and spokesman Paul Supan could not be reached as of posting time.