MARK Cruz was a picture of disappointment after Letran succumbed to its second loss to open the second round of the NCAA Season 91 seniors basketball on Tuesday.
Cruz scored a season-high 30 points for the Knights in their second round opener against San Sebastian, but that was not enough to rescue Letran from falling, 87-89, at the hands of San Sebastian.
So disappointed was the Letran point guard who was just drafted by Star a few days earlier that he needed to be consoled by his teammates after the match.
Cruz took the blame for the loss, citing the turnover he committed, among other things, in the late stage of the game when he lost the ball with Letran down, 87-88.
“Kahit medyo ako ‘yung swerte, masama ‘yung field goals ko at pangit defense ko,” said Cruz.
Letran last played on August 14 when the Knights beat Mapua in its final game of the first round. But Cruz refused to cite the 11-day break as the reason for the defeat.
“Kahit after nung first round, pumunta kami ng Baguio, mini-team building pero nag-work out pa rin kami. Hindi rason ‘yun,” said Cruz.
Cruz said Letran needs to work on its defense after allowing San Sebastian to make half of its shots.
“For me, siguro dapat i-work out lang namin ‘yun dahil kung wala kaming effort sa defense, walang mangayari. Kailangang double effort parati,” Cruz said.