Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Tue, Jul 17

    Relative rues organizers 'negligent' with emergency medical services at venue after death of JRU player

    May 25, 2015

    A RELATIVE of Jose Rizal University high school player Carl Jimwell ‘CJ’ Servillon on Monday said he hopes his death will serve as a lesson for organizers not to be negligent on emergency medical services during tournaments.

    In an interview with, Servillon's grandfather, Severo Servillon Sr., said he felt organizers of a preseason tournament did not have the necessary medical services on standby when the Light Bombers player collapsed in a match against De La Salle Zobel on Friday morning at The Arena in San Juan.

    Servillon died on Sunday night. He was 17.

    “Mabuti nandyan kayo (media) para kung sakaling may ganyan, hindi na maulit,” the elder Servillon told on Monday during the wake of his grandson in their residence in Mandaluyong City. “Palaro naman ito, siguro may bayad (entrance fee), may obligasyon kayo from the moment na nagwa-warm up."

    “Ako tinitignan ko ‘yung anggulo nun na may negligence on the part of nung nag-palaro. ‘Yun din naman yung observation ng mga coaches,” Servillon added.

    [See Shock over JRU high school player's death]

    Although he was not in the venue when it happened, Servillon said information relayed to him by the JRU coaching staff showed it took 30 minutes for his grandson to be taken from the San Juan arena to Cardinal Santos Medical Center due to the absence of a driver that will take him to the hospital.

    A source confirmed that although there was an ambulance on standby at the venue, there was no available driver. The ambulance also didn't have the needed emergency equipment like a breathing apparatus, he added.

    Continue reading below ↓

    “Hindi ko malaman kung ambulansya pero wala daw driver at that time kaya nagtagal,” said Servillon, a former councilor of Mandaluyong City.

    Servillon said the family was informed by doctors that the delay affected his grandson’s chance of survival.

    “Talagang ginawa nila ‘yung emergency sa pag-rerevive. Ang problema, hindi agad nadala sa ospital dahil may sasakyan naman daw, walang driver,” said Servillon.

    “Isang nakatulong ‘yun sa paglala,” he added. “Kinakailangan pala diyan, tayo kapag ganyan, kailangan ‘wag abutin ng 30 minutes. Ten minutes, dapat ma-revive agad kasi pag umabot na sa ganun (30 minutes), mahirap na. Lahat tinatamaan na pati atay, lahat,” said Servillon.

    The exact cause of death has yet to be explained in detail to the family.

    It was actually the second time that Servillon collapsed in a basketball game. The first incident happened when he played a game near his home a few weeks earlier.

    But the elder Servillon said diligence should have been made by tournament organizers.

    “Sinasabi ko ‘yan kasi dapat meron ‘yan paliga na kasali iba’t ibang eskwelahan, dapat kumpleto sila. Meron silang attending na ano doon,” he added.

    As of posting time, organizers could not be contacted for comment.

    Read Next
    We recommend
    Sponsored Content
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result