The NCAA commissioner’s office has given University of Perpetual Help until Wednesday to submit a formal protest letter over what the Altas claimed was a lapse by the referees in one play in their 78-77 overtime loss to San Sebastian in the men’s basketball tournament on Monday.
The Altas contended that Juneric Baloria should’ve been awarded two free throws when the prized rookie guard was fouled after he was hit in the groin following his challenge to the successful three-point conversion of Stags guard Jon Rebollos late in the second quarter.
The Las Piñas-based squad signified its intention to put the thrilling game under protest after skipper Harold Arboleda put his signature on the stat sheet.
But NCAA commissioner Joe Lipa, who is tasked, along with the league’s technical committee, to review the play in question, said on Tuesday night he has yet to receive a formal protest letter from the Altas.
Altas assistant coach Lester del Rosario, son of head coach Aric, said earlier they were set to file the protest letter within the day. But calls made later went unanswered.
NCAA management committee chairman Dax Castellano of College of St. Benilde could not be reached for comment.
Last year, the Altas filed a protest over the early ejection of Nigerian slotman Femi Babayemi in a elimination-round game against Mapua. The commissioner’s office and the mancom, however, junked the Altas’ complaint.