THE Letran Knights will no longer have their top gunner around for the 89th season of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.
Star player Kevin Alas confirmed he won’t be playing his final year of eligibility for the Intramuros-based squad.
“Nagpaalam na po ako sa Letran,” said Alas.
The 22-year old shooting guard, together with his dad, former Knights head coach Louie Alas, met with Letran Rector Father Tamerlane Lana Thursday to formally inform the school about the young Alas’ decision.
Kevin said he decided to leave the Knights for him to set his goals of concentrating on the national team, and at the same time, give incoming players the chance to suit up for Letran.
“Nagpaalam na ako to focus sa Gilas and to give way sa mga recruits like (Rey) Nambatac para makuha nila,” he explained.
But Alas said his father's resignation from the school had nothing to do with the decision, which he insisted was a personal choice he made.
“Matagal ko talaga pinag-isipan ito. Walang kinalaman `yung pagpalit ng coach (sa decision ko),” he added.
Lana, however, hopes Letran’s long-time go-to-guy will still change his mind for the coming season of the NCAA.
“Hoping (si Father Rector) mag-bago decision ko,” he said.
Still, Alas is very much confident the Knights will have another great run next season after falling short of a win in winning the championship last year against three-time title holder San Beda.
“They're a strong team handled by a good coach,” he said of the Knights, who will now be handled by new coach Caloy Garcia.