PRE-TOURNAMENT favorite De La Salle and defending champion Far Eastern University face each in their debut in the UAAP Season 79 seniors basketball tournament, according to a schedule released by the college league to the eight member schools on Wednesday.
The Green Archers take on the Tamaraws on Wednesday, September 7, 4 p.m. at the Mall of Asia Arena to start off their respective campaigns, just weeks after a highly physical tune-up game was ended prematurely amid tension among the coaches and players.
On opening day on September 4, University of the Philippines takes on Adamson at 2 p.m. at the Smart Araneta Coliseum followed by the match-up between University of Santo Tomas and Ateneo at 4 p.m.
National University battles University of the East in the first game of the September 7 game day at 2 p.m.
Other notable matches of Season 79 are as follows:
- La Salle and Ateneo meet on October 2, 4 p.m. at the Mall of Asia Arena, in perhaps Jeron Teng’s penultimate match of his collegiate career against his school’s archrival.
- Also on October 2, University of the East and Adamson face off at 12 p.m. in the first coaching match-up between brothers Derrick and Franz Pumaren.
- FEU and UST go up against each other on October 1, 4 p.m. at the Mall of Asia Arena in a rematch of the Season 78 finals.
- Ateneo and UE, two schools that the late coach Virgilio ‘Baby’ Dalupan once mentored, take the floor on September 24.
- Also on September 24, Adamson coach Franz Pumaren takes on his former team La Salle.