THE Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) reiterates that playing basketball is still prohibited in all areas in the Philippines that are under quarantine.
SBP executive director Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios said that with the absence of specific guidelines from the Inter-Agency Task Force, the general public is reminded that basketball activities are still not allowed except PBA and Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas 3x3 players, who are limited to only indulge in practice activities.
“Importante ‘yung specific implementing guidelines kasi baka mamislead for example ‘yung mga basketball-loving countrymen natin,” said Barrios during Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum. “[Baka] biglang magsilaruan sa barangay court or street basketball thinking na puwede na.”
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque last week announced that the IATF has given the go signal to hold practices for basketball and football. The general statement of Roque, however, caused a perception that all basketball activities will now be allowed.
Later, clarifications were made that only those in the professional ranks are allowed to only practice but still under strict health protocols.
Barrios admitted there was confusion even to the SBP regional directors who can’t wait to hold activities during quarantine following Roque’s pronouncements.
“Pare-pareho tayong feedback na na-excite lahat. Pati mga regional directors natin for grassroots, nagtatanungan kung puwede na ba magpa-tournament sa lugar namin. Dito lang sa neighborhood namin, nagtatanong din,” said Barrios.
Barrios urged the public to wait for further announcements as to when basketball will be allowed to be played as a recreation, exercise, or hobby, and warned about the consequences of going out and playing.
“Gusto natin siguraduhin na nasa tamang lugar tayo dahil masisita tayo ng mga authorities na nagpasimula tayo sa pag-violate ng kanilang regulasyon,” said Barrios.