LAST April 22, we've written about a looming trade that would have Mahindra sending Karl Dehesa and Mike DiGrigorio to GlobalPort for Jonathan Uyloan and Paolo Taha.
Rookie Roi Sumang was later added by GlobalPort to the package to make it a five-player deal.
On Friday (April 29), we got confirmation that the deal had been signed by both teams and that it had been approved by the PBA Commissioner's Office. The development was even announced by veteran broadcaster Quinito Henson in the middle of a broadcast of a league game.
But what happened next was quite odd. Even before the broadcast could end, Henson was informed by the Commissioner's Office that the deal is still off after getting a call from the Mahindra representative to the PBA board.
A deal signed, sealed and delivered and later approved by the PBA suddenly scrapped?
Intrigued, we called up the PBA league office and media bureau chief Willie Marcial confirmed that the papers for the deal had indeed been signed by both teams and consequently approved by Commissioner Chito Narvasa.
The trade was a go - until a call from the Mahindra governor came, supposedly after Henson announced the deal on national television.
So what's the status of the deal, we asked.
Marcial said the deal wasn't scrapped but 'techically on hold' on the request of Mahindra, meaning chances are high it will still push through in due time.
"May ika-klaro lang si Com (Narvasa) sa mga teams, pag na-clear up na tuloy pa rin," said Marcial.
On when would that be, Marcial has no definite time frame, although GlobalPort players are still touring the country campaigning for team owner Mikee Romero.
Romero is eyeing a party-list seat in Congress through 1Pacman.