WHAT simply began as a curious proposal on Twitter is now on the cusp of becoming a reality.
Plans for a ‘Young Once’ vs. ‘Young Ones’ match got off the ground a week after it was first broached on the social networking site as the PBA began exploratory talks on a game pitting the league’s veteran players against the current and rising stars just before the season comes to an end.
League commissioner Chito Narvasa sat down with old hands Danny Seigle and Eric Menk on Sunday to discuss details and other pertinent matters needed to make the special game possible, which Menk first raised last week on his Twitter account@EMenk30.
“May mga ibang detalye pa na aayusin but we’re very receptive to the idea,” said PBA media bureau chief Willie Marcial, who was also present during the meeting held just before the game between Globalport and Star at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Marcial said Narvasa thought the set-up would have been perfect for this year’s All-Star game, but the idea came a bit too late in the day. The All-Stars will have its traditional North vs. South format when it unfolds on August 7 also at the Big Dome.
“Kung maaga sana nila nasabi, maganda sana yun para sa All-Star,” said Marcial.
Under the initial plans, funds to be generated in the match will also go directly to the Players’ Trust Fund just like the All-Star game, which serves as the main source of funding for all retired and active cagers.
The ‘Young Once’ said it has as many as 19 players eligible to see action under its 36-years-old-and-above requirements.
Jimmy Alapag, the former league MVP and senior point guard of Meralco, has so far listed Menk, Seigle, Asi Taulava, Mark Caguioa, JayJay Helterbrand, Peter June Simon, Dondon Hontiveros, Reynel Hugnatan, Harvey Carey, John Ferriols, and Gary David as those qualified in the ‘Young Once’ roster.