COACH Tim Cone is focusing on keeping the Ginebra core intact and is not counting on getting a major boost from the rookie draft.
Despite the Gin Kings owning two first-round picks — third and 10th — in the regular draft, Cone feels what Ginebra should focus on is keeping intact the squad that ruled the Governors’ Cup.
“We just won a championship and we feel really good about being intact,” Cone said.
“We like our chemistry, so we don’t want to change it up that much in any case.”
“Why change a good thing?” he added. “I’m hoping that we can work it out with management that everybody comes back.”
Cone is bracing for slim pickings in the draft set October 30 at Robinsons Place Manila.
“Think about last year’s draft: let’s take those top twelve players and remove them from the draft: you’re talking about getting the thirteenth player as your first pick, the fourteenth player as your second pick, (and so on),” Cone said. “So how excited can you get right now?”
“You’re dealing with guys that would normally be mid to late second-round picks, so it makes it a lot more difficult to find a gem in terms of that,” said Cone, who took Scottie Thompson with the fifth pick in the last draft. “There’s nobody out there that’s a consensus number one pick in the draft right now.”
Gelo Alolino, Jonathan Grey, and Chris Javier are among the expected top picks in this year’s regular draft.
“Even though we have the No. 3 pick of the (regular) draft, we got caught holding the bag,” Cone said. “We are going to be the ones that are least rewarded.”
“And we’re not going to get one of the top ten players of the Gilas group either,” said Cone, whose team picks 10th in the special draft.
Cone had seemed to want to add his own take on the special draft, before holding back.
“Personally,” he said before pausing. “I don’t want to comment on it because there’s too much controversy going on.”
The Gin Kings don’t have to make major adjustments, anyway, after ruling the Governors’ Cup.