DON'T look now, but Terrence Romeo’s contract extension at GlobalPort may not be as long as anticipated.
A source told SPIN.ph that although Romeo has agreed in principle to a new contract, the Mikee Romero-owned franchise has only offered the high-scoring guard a four-month extension so far.
“Four months lang contract ni Terrence, maximum (salary) siya, pero four months lang,” said the source on the new contract that is set to expire in December.
The Globalport insider declined to give a detailed explanation on why Romeo was only given a short deal, which only served bolstered talk that the popular guard's future in the team is not a lock despite guarantees from officials.
“Basta, 'yan lang ang binigay ni Boss Mikee,” he said, insisting the deal is different from the automatic extensions given all players due to the league's prolonged season.
On Saturday, GlobalPort team manager Bonnie Tan told SPIN.ph that Romeo has agreed in principle to a three-year contract extension with the team.
The source also bared that aside from Romeo, contract negotiations of other players are proceeding slowly.
Veteran Dorian Pena is no longer confident of a contract renewal and might opt for retirement if no team will approach him while recently acquired shooter Karl Dehesa is not close to signing a new deal.
Sources said Dehesa was initially offered a two-year deal that was eventually reduced to a one-year offer.
“Wala siyang contract ngayon. Di ko alam kung ano ang plano kay Dehesa,” he said.