BLACKWATER will have to do swab testing anew for COVID-19 even after it just went through with the same procedure more than a week ago.
PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said the Elite won’t be exempted from the testing to be done for the rest of the ballclubs as part of the strict health protocols drafted by the league and given approval by the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases).
Blackwater and eight other teams are scheduled to undergo swab testing at the Makati Medical Center August 6 to 7.
“Kailangan nila ulit mag-swab test. By that time, almost two weeks na since nung una silang nag-test,” said Marcial.
The Elite were ordered to do swab testing as part of the sanction from the Commissioner’s Office for premature practicing ahead of the scheduled go-signal from the league.
The testing, done last July 20, was apart from the P100,000 fine on the franchise.
Marcial said the outcome of the swab test had already been forwarded by the team to deputy commissioner Eric Castro, with none among the Elite testing positive.
Still, the entire team was required to undergo a seven-day quarantine as per PBA protocol.
The required swab testing among teams meant the second in about three weeks for Blackwater.
Swab testing at Makati Medical Center costs P8,150 per person, which meant ballclubs had to shell out more than P122,000 on around 15 players, not including coaches and the safety officer who will accompany the team once individual workouts start by Aug. 10 at the least.
Results of the testing will be released within 48 hours.
Teams under the San Miguel group will be swab tested at the company’s testing facility at the SMC compound in Ortigas.