TWO days after the burglary incident at the Mall of Asia (MOA) Arena, Meralco coach Ryan Gregorio remains clueless on who were behind the heist that took place while the Bolts' game against Globalport Batang Pier was in progress.
Meralco team manager Butch Antonio has already advised Gregorio to keep his focus on preparing the team against Air21 this Sunday as part of a PBA Philippine Cup doubleheader that, ironically, again takes place at the scene of the crime that left the Bolts coach without several valuables.
“Sabi ko sa kanya (Gregorio), ako na lang ang haharap sa MOA (management). We have to accept na nawalan tayo. He just can’t change that, but at least, we want him to just focus on preparing the team,” Antonio told Spin.ph.
The Meralco team manager, who had been communicating with MOA Arena management since the burglary incident on Wednesday night, disclosed they have yet to receive word from venue general manager Arnel Gonzales, who earlier vowed to try to “sort out what must be sorted.”
“It’s been 48 hours since that (burglary) happened.. Dapat nga within 24 hours may update na sila. Pero until now, we haven’t heard from them,” added Antonio.
Gregorio and members of his coaching staff were the major victims of the incident as they lost personal valuables after unidentified robbers gained entry to the Meralco dugout during the first half of the Bolts’ game against the Batang Pier – incidentally, the first league doubleheader to be played at the MOA Arena.
The Meralco coach went out of the dugout fuming just before the second half began upon discovering that he lost his Adidas shoulder bag containing his iPad, iPhone, and wallet.
MOA Arena security later came in to investigate the matter and tried to gather leads to the crime, a first since the state-of-the-art venue was opened in the summer.
The youthful-looking Meralco coach was twice a loser on that night. Aside from losing his valuables, he also failed to focus well in the second half of the game as the Bolts lost grip of a 14-point second half lead on the way to absorbing a shocking 104-105 loss to the Batang Pier.
Antonio said Meralco management is hoping they could soon hear from MOA Arena management as far as its investigation is concerned since they would want to know what they intend to do following the unfortunate incident.
“I don’t want to worry about that (burglary incident). We don’t want our team to invite negative things concerning that. Though siyempre, gusto na namin sana matapos ito. Kahit man lang naman report from them (MOA Arena management), a report to say, ‘we’re sorry, we had lapses on security,’ or di kami ang mali’.
“Kahit ganun man lang, at least alam naming may nangyayari sa investigation nila,” explained Antonio.
Meantime, MOA Arena’s public relations officer Steph Henares told Spin.ph the venue general manager has yet to wrap up his investigation on the incident.