THE start of the Tim Cone era at Barangay Ginebra will have to wait a little longer.
The Gin Kings were supposed to officially open training camp under the PBA’s most successful coach on Monday, but has been moved to Thursday with some players, including star Mark Caguioa, still aboard.
Ginebra slotman Greg Slaughter said the opening date may even be pushed back further.
“That still might get moved, too,” he said. “I’m not sure.”
The situation hardly pleases Cone, according to Slaughter.
“He’s not too happy of the delay,” the Ginebra cornerstone said of Cone, who was absent on Monday.
In a text message to Spin.ph though, Cone said the first meeting between him and the Kings will be next Monday yet.
“We had to move it to post draft, so it will be Monday, the 24th,” he said.
Cone, though, has showed up last week to conduct the workouts/tryouts for some rookie hopefuls who are part of this year’s draft list.
The players overseas are expected to arrive either on Wednesday or Thursday.
The Gin Kings who did show up on Monday include LA Tenorio, Japeth Aguilar, Sol Mercado, Mac Baracael, Chris Ellis, Josh Urbiztondo, and Jens Knuttel, who all settled for a skills workout session with assistant coach Kirk Collier.
Slaughter said the unofficial practice sessions with the renowned American skills coach have been going on for over a month and he has taken advantage of that.
“We got the winningest coach coming on board, so, for myself, I just want to be as prepared as I can,” said the Cebu native, who returned to Manila last July 15 from a short vacation in his hometown.