THE man involved in the final and yet controversial play that decided the outcome of the Globalport-Ginebra playoff on Sunday believes the game officials ‘made the right choice.’
Stanley Pringle said the referees’ no-call on a possible five-second violation on him was fitting ending and that the breaks of the game simply went the Batang Pier’s way.
“I think they made the right choice,” Pringle told reporters waiting for him outside the Globalport dugout after the win. "Sometimes in basketball, it’s a split decision (thing), and sometimes it can go either way.”
He added, “Can’t blame them if they made the right choice.”
Pringle found himself trapped by Ginebra’s double-team near the half court in the final eight seconds of the back-and-forth game, with GlobalPort barely ahead, 84-83, in the sudden-death game of the Smart Bro-PBA Philippine Cup quarterfinals.
But last year’s top overall pick somehow found a way to extricate himself out of trouble and managed to pass the ball to an open Keith Jensen, preserving the victory which served as the Batang Pier’s ticket to their first ever semifinals stint in the PBA.
He said he felt a foul should have been even called on that final play.
“Definitely (on whether there was a foul). I felt a couple of hands in the arm, but it’s alright,” he added.
Pringle had a team-high 25 points, scoring nine in the final quarter and the extra period, while adding eight rebounds for good measure.
The Fil-Am guard however, said it was a total team effort that carried the Batang Pier to the biggest win ever in franchise history.
“It was good, it was a good win. We played like a team today,” he said. “Everybody on the team wanted to win really bad.”