Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    View Today
    Sun, Nov 5

    As COVID cases increase, chances of PBA return lessen, admits Marcial

    Marcial: 'Kapag tumataas [COVID cases], bumababa chances namin na makabalik'
    Jul 15, 2020
    PHOTO: PBA Images

    WHILE the PBA is gearing up for team workouts to finally begin, the rising cases of the COVID-19 in the country isn't exactly raising optimism.

    Commissioner Willie Marcial admitted personally monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) cases here which has notably been on the rise the past few weeks.

    The increase in numbers come at a time when the league is already in the stage of preparing for the return of teams to practices.

    Marcial stressed the huge number of COVID cases likewise lessens the chances of the league’s possible resumption of its 45th season.

    “Kapag tumataas yan, bumababa yung chances namin na makabalik,” said the PBA chief. “Kapag bumaba yan, kami naman ang tataas ang chances na makabalik.”

    COVID-19 cases in the country now total to 57,545 as of July 14, with more than 2,000 cases recorded the last two days.

    In the National Capital Region alone, 7,303 new cases had been recorded in the month of July alone.

    The numbers, according to Marcial, are causing him sleepless nights.

    “Kahit hindi ako nasa PBA, yung sa personal ko lang, concerned talaga tayo kasi para sa atin lahat yan,” said Marcial. “Nakakatakot kung paano umatake itong pandemic na ito.”

    The PBA was finally given the green light to allow team workouts after the NCR was placed under General Community Quarantine (GCQ), provided it will follow strict health protocols inside the ballclub’s respective training facilities.

    Hopes are high that once Metro Manila is downgraded to MGCQ (Modified General Community Quarantine), teams will already be allowed to play five-on-five games, a scenario which the league hopes would eventually pave the way for the resumption of the season.

    But the way COVID-19 numbers are spiking the past two weeks, uncertainty is hounding anew the country’s top sports entertainment.

    “Concerned kami (sa PBA) sa nangyayari sa bansa natin,” said Marcial.

    ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

    Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph

    Read Next
    Watch Now
    Sorry, no results found for
    PHOTO: PBA Images
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result